Here is a summary of my contributions to recent parliamentary debates and questions I have asked Government Ministers.
- Paying Tribute to Nelson Mandela – It was an honour to be pay tribute to Nelson Mandela during a special parliamentary session held on Monday 9th December. Nelson Mandela was an archetypal leader who espoused dignity. He saw the goodness in others and we recognise the goodness in him. Read the full text of my tribute to Nelson Mandela here.
- Local Authority Funding – The Government has cut Oldham’s Revenue Support Grant by £36.8m for 2014-16, threatening vital social care services. I am standing up in Parliament for Oldham. Read my parliamentary question here.
- Qualified Teachers – I am fighting to keep a high standard of teaching for Oldham. Read my question highlighting Government policy that has increased the use of unqualified teachers here.
- I asked the Minister for Women and Equalities what assessment she has made of the effect of the economic climate on people in black, Asian and minority ethnic communities. Read the details online.
- Modern-day Slavery – Read my contribution to the parliamentary debate on modern-day slavery here.
- Gendered violence – There were 5,369 domestic abuse incidents in Oldham between October 2012 and September, 2013. I have called on the Home Secretary to prevent violence and girls during a parliamentary debate. Click here for the full text of my question. Click here for my question to the Foreign Secretary on sexual violence in conflict.
- Late Payments to Small Businesses – I continue to press the government to do more to support small businesses by addressing the issue of late payments. Read my question to the Minister of State for Skills and Enterprise here and speech on small businesses here.
- Transatlantic Trade and investment Partnership – I asked the Minister for Europe to confirm that the NHS will be exempt from the trade negotiations here.
- Autumn Statement – During the debate on the Autumn statement, I asked the Chancellor if he regrets cutting the flood defence budget in 2010. You can read my contribution here.
- Welfare Reform – I have asked the Leader of the House of Commons to schedule a debate on cumulative impact assessment on the effects of Welfare Reform Act. Visit the Parliamentary website for more information.
You can read about all my parliamentary contributions on the Parliament website here.